Birmingham Nechells Baths Refurbishment Providing Office Space
Nechells Baths, in Nechells Park Road, opened in 1910 and formed part of a general provision of public baths and wash-houses across Birmingham.
The magnificent Grade II-listed Edwardian building fell into disrepair and closed in 1995 as it could no longer compete with the city’s more modern, energy-efficient leisure centres.
But following a £5.5 million refurbishment, with funding from Advantage West Midlands and the Heritage Lottery Fund, the former public liability was restored to its former glory, not as a swimming baths, but as a much needed community facility.
The refurbished landmark, which is owned by the Birmingham Foundation, provides a range of services including crèche and nursery facilities, an internet café as well as office accommodation for several local not-for-profit community organisations.
During the evenings, the facility is home to a host of activities including a youth club, community bingo and thriving dance group.